Lately there has been a resurgence of the debate about letting 18 year olds buy and drink alcohol. This is a funny question to me because the answer is so obvious. But for those of you who haven’t thought about it, and for those of you who know the truth but have to lie because your soul is owned by Alcohol companies, let me clear it up for you.
Yes, we should allow 18 year olds to buy and consume alcohol. And here are the reasons.
- Making alcohol and other drugs illegal removes any type of normal encounter someone might have with a substance. It leads to over consumption and encourages binging because of the limited access to that substance.
- 18 year olds are able to vote in elections. If these people are able minded enough to “Pick” the leaders of our Nation, then surely they are mature enough to consume alcohol.
- Someone 18 years old can own a handgun and serve in the military. If you are able to buy and possess a firearm, and represent The USA in a military theater then you should be able to have a drink of alcohol.
- Someone 18 years old can have Medical Marijuana, Pain medication, and Nerve medication. Someone who can legally smoke weed, take Oxycontin, and take Xanax should be allowed to drink alcohol.
- And finally the greatest reason: Prohibition of any substance is a vicious cycle that leads to a thriving black market, unsafe situations, and higher costs. Humans have always drank alcohol and experimented with mind altering substances. Demand creates supply. When you make something illegal you automatically create a criminal class. A thriving black market is created around the illegal substance leading to shady situations and lots of illegal money transfer without taxation.
These large alcohol companies and politicians know this, but it suits their agenda to have prohibition. If the drinking age was lowered and drugs were legalized, people would actually consume less. That would lead to alcohol and pharmaceutical companies making way less, and the government having less access to everyone’s lives.
So in summary let me say again: Prohibition is bullshit! Lower the drinking age! End the War on Drugs! Set the Captives Free!